Man charged with raping child allegedly bribed victim with snacks Melanie Mizenko JANUARY 30TH, 2017
A Brighton man has been sent to prison for a total of 15 years, with an extended sentence period of five years, over a series of sex offences against a young girl over a period of seven years, and possession of indecent images of children.
Ashley Borrer, 37, unemployed, currently of Hillside, Brighton, was sentenced when he appeared in custody at Lewes Crown Court on Tuesday (31 January).
He had been found guilty on 29 November of six counts of rape, and four of sexual activity with a child, all against the girl at an address in Portslade and elsewhere, when she was between eight and 15 years old, until 2012.
Borrer had also pleaded guilty to three offences of possession of indecent images of children.
Judge Guy Anthony also ordered Borrer to be a registered sex offender for life, and issued him with a Sexual Harm Prevention Order (SHPO) to last indefinitely, severely restricting his access to children and computers.
Detective Constable Duncan Chalmers of the Sussex Police Safeguarding Investigations Unit said; "This victim came to us in 2014, having endured an appalling series of sexual abuse. Borrer knew her, and had systematically taken advantage of her from childhood onwards and it was only after several years that she felt able to talk about what had happened. We then worked carefully and sensitively with her, finally enabling her to see a measure of justice done to Borrer.
"Even while he was on bail awaiting his trial our Paedophile On-Line Investigation Team (POLIT) received information that Borrer was downloading indecent images of children at his current address. When they arrested him and exmained his computer they found the images, including some of the most serious nature."
All the images were taken from the Internet and did not involve the sex offences victim or any other local children.
Dustin Guerin appeared for the last time in court Jan. 30 to take a plea agreement that sentences him to 30 years. Standing at the podium with his attorney before Circuit Judge Jennifer Growcock, Guerin said “guilty” as each count was read aloud — multiple charges of rape, sodomy and child abuse.
The 34-year-old Bruner man was originally charged May 6, 2015, with 15 counts. Pursuant to the plea agreement, Guerin’s charges were modified to include nine of the original counts: two counts first-degree rape or attempted rape, serious physical injury; two counts first-degree sodomy or attempted sodomy; two counts sexual exploitation of a minor; first-degree assault; armed criminal action; and abuse or neglect of a child.
Guerin will serve 25 years for counts one, three, five and seven to run consecutively with five years for counts nine, 11, 13, 14 and 15. Multiple counts require the defendant serve 85 percent of the sentence before becoming eligible for parole.
Guerin is convicted for entering a 14-year-old girl’s bedroom where he raped her, photographed her, lit her bed on fire and attempted to suffocate her.
“... (The victim) disclosed Guerin came into the bedroom and had a gray plastic sack in his pocket which he pulled out and placed over (her) nose and mouth while he pinned her arms down with his knees,” the statement says. “(The victim) said she felt like she was about to lose consciousness but she was able to fight him off of her before that happened.”
The girl told police she fought and screamed during the incident. In the course of these events, the girl also said Guerin threatened her. Guerin also took photographs before allegedly setting the girl’s bed on fire with a candle placed at the foot of her bed. The girl told police she then put out the fire herself.
“... (The victim) disclosed that Guerin told her he couldn’t trust her. (She) said she didn’t want to die and Guerin said ‘I don’t want to kill you, but I can’t take any chances,’” police reports said. “(She pleaded) for her life and promised not to say anything about the incident if he let her live and ... let him hug her while she cried.”
The next morning she was picked up by friends at her house, and immediately told them about the incident — leading to Guerin’s arrest.
First Assistant Prosecutor Kristen Tuohy outlined these details of Guerin’s crimes and, when Growcock asked if he had substantial disagreements with any of these facts, he responded simply saying “nope.”
Guerin’s sentence began immediately as he was escorted by a CCSO officer from the courtroom to be delivered to the Missouri Department of Corrections. As he was led away, shackled around the waist with a thick chain, Guerin glanced back once at those who gathered to witness his sentence — including the 15-year-old victim, who courageously testified during the sentencing.
Standing behind the prosecutor’s table, across the room from her attacker, the young woman’s voice claimed the courtroom as she explained how her life has drastically changed since April 25, 2015.
“Every night, I have nightmares. There is not a single night I have been able to sleep without waking up thinking he’s coming back,” she said. “I have to live with this and this is not a choice I made for myself.”
PTSD, depression and anxiety have become a reality of her life. She said she knows she will always need counseling in some level and she has trouble even talking to or being near men, including teachers. She said she trusted Guerin, a former volunteer assistant fire chief at Sparta Fire Department.
“He was supposed to help people,” she said. “He put my life in danger.”
But, worst of all, she said, she fears his sentence. Thirty years is not enough time.
“I feel like he would get out and come back for me,” she said. “If he tried to kill me once before, nothing would stop him next time he had the chance ... I don’t ever want to see him on the streets. I don’t ever want to bump into him in the store. I don’t want him to ever be able to find my family.”
The girl’s mother also testified, emotionally saying she is still trying to wrap her head around the incident.
“I don’t understand what makes someone commit these crimes against a child,” she said, adding that she trusted Guerin. “He completely took advantage of that and committed the ultimate betrayal.”
Five men and a woman are due to go on trial today for 53 child sexual offences relating to the alleged sex exploitation of a number of girls in Sheffield.
Six charged with child sexual exploitation offences in Sheffield to go on trial today SARAH MARSHALL JAN 30 2017