SANDUSKY — Pending charges against Richard Mick, a former pastor convicted last year of sexually abusing two young church members, are moving forward under a new judge.
Erie County Common Pleas Judge Roger Binette handled the October trial of Mick, 55, who at the time was accused of twice raping a young girl and of repeatedly molesting a young boy between 1999 and 2002. Both children knew Mick through Lighthouse Baptist Church, where he served as pastor at the time. Each victim is now in his or her early 20s.
Jurors found Mick guilty of two counts of rape and two counts of gross sexual imposition, according to court records. Binette subsequently sentenced Mick to two life sentences and an additional five years in prison.
That sentence does not account for another set of charges, filed in August, that carry a similar allegation: Mick is accused of inappropriately touching a boy repeatedly on the church grounds, beginning in 2006 when the boy was 5 years old. Mick faces eight counts of gross sexual imposition.
Prosecutors notably filed a third set of rape charges, identifying a fourth victim tied to Lighthouse Baptist Church, against Mick in 2012. These were dropped the following year based on insufficient evidence.
Mick is in custody in the Lorain Correction Institution, according to state records.
Delacey Walters, 27, of Homestead Street in Akron, was found guilty Wednesday of sexually assaulting his girlfriend’s three young daughters over several months.
A jury convicted Walters of nine counts of rape of a child under 10 and five counts of gross sexual imposition.
Walters was the live-in boyfriend of the mother of the victims. Between October and December of 2015, Walters raped and sexually assaulted all three children, who were under the age of 10. Walters was left to care for the victims while their mother was at work.
The victims disclosed information about the abuse to their father, who then called police and took them to the emergency room.
Doctors determined that all three victims contracted a sexually transmitted disease from Walters. Walters then lied to police and attempted to hide the results of his medical tests to keep that evidence from investigators.
Walters is scheduled to be sentenced on Feb. 16. He could get of life in prison without parole.
A man who raped and exploited a vulnerable teenage girl, supplying her with drugs and enticing her to "perform" explicitly for videos online has been jailed.
Jason Vasan, 32, was handed a 19-year jail sentence at Croydon Crown Court on Tuesday after he was found guilty of rape, causing child pornography, taking indecent images of a child, as well as possessing extreme pornography and cannabis.
A spokesperson for the NSPCC said the young victim had shown "immense courage" in coming forward though would need considerable support to help her recover from her ordeal.
Police launched their investigation into Vasan after they were passed information in July 2015 that he was exploiting girls under 18, encouraging them to "perform" on adult webcam sites, promising them that they would make money.
Vasan was arrested at his home in Burdon Lane, and police seized laptops, phones and documents, the Met said.
Police then got in touch with a number of young women and girls they thought Vasan was targeting and exploiting, reported the Croydon Advertiser .
One of them was a 16-year-old girl who told officers how she met Vasan while living in a hostel.
She told police he persuaded her to start working on an adult webcam site, with specialist officers discovering Vasan had established financial control over her, supplied her with drugs and then exploited her to take sexually explicit images and videos, posting some to an adult site.
She further told the officers, from the Met's Sexual Offences, Exploitation and Child Abuse (SOECA) Command, that Vasan had raped her at her home.
When detectives trawled through messages on Vasan's computers and phones they found messages between him and the girl that corroborated her account.
They also discovered thousands of sexually explicit videos and images, many of which were of the 16-year-old, who cannot be identified for legal reasons.
When detectives launched a financial investigation, they found Vasan was getting payments from the website hosting the videos and images, taking a cut for himself and only then paying various women - including the 16-year-old - money for their appearances on the site.
They found, the court heard, that he effectively had full financial control over the 16-year-old and decided how much money she would get.
Vasan was charged in October 2015 and was later found guilty after a two-week trial at Croydon Crown Court in November last year.
Detective Constable Danielle Power, from the Met's SOECA Command, who investigated the case, said: "This is a shocking case of child sexual exploitation and this sentence means that an extremely dangerous sexual predator is now safely behind bars for a considerable time.
"Vasan preyed on an extremely vulnerable young girl, supplied her with drugs, caused her to be involved in child pornography and took explicit and indecent images to put onto the internet for his own financial gain.
Anyone with concerns about a child or young person can call the NSPCC Helpline on 0808 800 5000 for advice, while children and young people can call Childline on 0800 1111, or get help online at www.childline.org.uk
WAYNESBORO - A Peters Township man was arrested this week on allegations that he raped and molested a young girl over the course of several months, according to court documents.
James Mark Mann, 43, is charged with felony rape of a child, criminal attempt of rape of a child, involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child, criminal attempt of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse with a child, aggravated indecent assault of a person younger than 13, and criminal attempt of aggravated indecent assault. He also is charged with two misdemeanor counts of indecent assault of a person younger than 13 and criminal attempt of indecent assault.
According to court documents, Mann sexually abused a 10-year-old girl several times between Oct. 1, 2016 and Jan. 2, 2017, in a house on Charlestown Road, Peters Township.
Pennsylvania State Police, Chambersburg received a report from the girl's father on Jan. 3, stating she had disclosed that Mann had been "doing things" to her, including attempts to rape her.
The girl was taken to Meritus Medical Center, Hagerstown, Maryland, where she was evaluated and had a sexual assault kit completed, because the last incident had reportedly happened the day before, according to court documents.
A few days later, the girl told investigators about the abuse, saying Mann "did bad things to her," according to court documents. She told them about Mann's efforts to rape her and other types of sexual abuse.
The girl told investigators that when she told Mann to stop he told her "shh no one should know this," according to court documents.
During one incident, the girl said she started to punch Mann, and he told her to stop punching him. She said she tried to move to get away from Mann because he was hurting her so badly.
She said she felt like she was bleeding because of the abuse, according to court documents.
Mann was arraigned by Magisterial District Judge Larry Pentz on Wednesday, and his bail was set at $200,000.
KwaDukuza Regional Court last week convicted and sentenced a 69-year-old man to 45 years imprisonment for three counts of rape.
In 2014, two children aged 9 and 11 were left in the care of their grandfather in Glendale while their mother was at work.
The man would call the victims on different occasions and rape them.
He continued doing this until he was caught in the act by a neighbour who reported the matter to the victim’s mother.
When the young girls were questioned, they confirmed that it was true.
The man was arrested and charged accordingly.
Another 13-year-old victim, who was a neighbour of the man, came forward and told her teacher that in 2014, she was also repeatedly raped by him.
The matter was reported to the police and another charge of rape was added.
The grandfather made several court appearances until he was sentenced.
“It is sad and disappointing that the people who are supposed to protect and love the victims are the one abusing them,” said the KwaZulu-Natal Acting Provincial Commissioner, Major General Bheki Langa.
“As a society, it is our duty to protect our future leaders from such people. We would like to encourage communities and members of the family to continue to report such acts to the police.”