A northwest suburban man faces life in prison for sexually assaulting the same three young children his brother is already serving a prison sentence for sexually assaulting at the same time.
Robert E. Craig, 48, was convicted late Thursday of 11 counts of predatory criminal sexual assault, and six counts of criminal sexual abuse, according to the Kane County state's attorney's office.
A Kane County jury deliberated for about five hours before finding Craig, of northwest suburban Hampshire, guilty of the 11 Class X felonies and six Class 2 felonies, prosecutors said.
Prosecutors showed that between 1999 and 2010, Robert Craig sexually assaulted the siblings, all of whom were younger than 13, in Carpentersville, where he formerly lived.
Over the same time period, Richard E. Craig, 56, of Carpentersville, was sexually assaulting the same children, prosecutors said.
"Robert and Richard Craig are child predators," state's attorney Joe McMahon said in a statement. "Their crimes stole a normal childhood from these children. Their place is not in a civilized society but prison. And after that, they both will have one more judgment to face."
Richard Craig pleaded guilty in 2006 to predatory criminal sexual assault and aggravated criminal sexual abuse. He is serving a 20-year sentence at the Taylorville Correctional Center.
In 2014 one of the victims told a school counselor she was being sexually assaulted by Richard Craig and Robert Craig, prosecutors said. The counselor notified the Illinois Department of Child and Family Services.
"The horrific facts about the Craig brothers' actions came to light because someone made a report to DCFS on behalf of these three victims," McMahon said. "I cannot stress enough the importance of making a report when someone suspects such abuse. Anyone can make a report."
Circuit Judge John Barsanti set Robert Craig's next court appearance for 9 a.m. March 9, 2017, for motions. He faces 11 consecutive natural life sentences, and remains in the Kane County jail, where he has been held on a $150,000 bond, which has now been revoked, prosecutors said.
Both Craigs will have to register for life as child sex offenders.
"Child sex abuse victims deserve justice, and I'm so pleased these victims have received it. They have shown tremendous courage throughout this process, coming back to court 11 years later to again fight for justice," McMahon said.
MAN AND HIS BROTHER SEXUALLY ASSAULTED SAME 3 CHILDREN, PROSECUTORS SAY Sun-Times Media Wire February 10, 2017
MUNCIE, Ind. – A Muncie man who failed in a bid to persuade authorities he had been sexually assaulted by a pre-schooler has been sentenced to four years in prison.
Trevor Ross Wages, 25, pleaded guilty in January to child molesting. Delaware Circuit Court 1 Judge Marianne Vorhees imposed a six-year sentence with two years suspended.
Wages was arrested in November 2015 after a child reported she had been sexually abused by Wages.
Wages, meanwhile, said the incident had taken place nearly two years earlier – when the girl would have been about five years old – and that he had been sexually assaulted by the child.
“Guys get raped, too,” he told an officer.
A stepfather who raped his two stepdaughters 'every night they were alone together' for a decade has been jailed for 11 years.
The 43-year-old, whose name is suppressed to protect the victims, was in a de facto relationship with their mother and both girls called him 'dad'.
He abused the older girl from December 31, 2005 when she was five until April 24, 2015 when she was 15, escalating from 'inappropriate touching' to rape over time.
Crown prosecutor Michael Cowan QC said the man told the girl he 'loved her' and 'it’s our little secret', according to the Townsville Bulletin.
The Townsville District Court heard the girl told police her stepfather abused her 'every night they were alone together'.
The vile predator started on the younger sister in December 2007 when she was six and the abuse lasted until January 2015 when she was 15.
In one of the countless times he raped her, he even climbed on to her top bunk bed while her sister slept below, and a week later while her mother was in the kitchen.
The shocking abuse was not discovered by police until April 22, 2015, when the older sister called Kids Helpline.
Defence barrister Alex Raeburn tried to mitigate the crimes by telling the court his client had two sons with the girls' mother and had set up a trust fund for the victims.
'Some remorse has been shown by my client knowing that what he was doing was wrong,' he said.
Judge John Baulch SC said there was 'little doubt' significant damage had been done to the sisters from the 'awful abuse'.
'You were a father figure to these children and… you betrayed the highest levels of trust that can be reposed on a human being,' he said.
The man was deemed a moderate to high risk of reoffending by a psychologist's report and would need significant rehabilitation.
He would have to serve at least 80 per cent of his 11-year sentence after the court pronounced him a serious violent offender.
'It's our little secret': Man jailed for 11 years for raping his two stepdaughters from the ages of five and six until they were teenagers Nic White Daily Mail Australia 12 February 2017